Beginning of the collaboration Sédille / Loebnitz
It’s from 1871 that Jules Loebnitz orientated his production toward the architectural decoration, especially under the push of his friend Paul Sédille, recently back from his travel in Spain. Between the two men, was born a true friendship which engages them in a close collaboration as professional as intellectual.
Paul Sédille’s intimate conviction was that the ceramic medium was the king of polychrome architecture materials and Jules Loebnitz’ earthenware satisfied this ideal. To him, modern polychrome needed to last as long as the building, which made his collaboration with Loebnitz so interesting.
The common dream between Sédille and Loebnitz is translated by the will for one of a polychrome architecture made possible by the architectural ceramic of the other. Loebnitz knew how to use non crackable earthenware able to resist to exterior thermical shocks while offering a perfect support to traditional enamels. The architectural ceramic was born.
According to what he saw, especially in Sevilla, Paul Sédille gave to Jules Loebnitz Arabic models that were used to different architectural projects born form their collaboration : Exhibitions pavillions, buildings, villas, hotels or commemorative monuments.